Marlon Samuels has been banned from all cricket for six years after the former West Indies batter was found guilty of four breaches of the Emirates Cricket Board Anti-Corruption Code, the sport’s governing body (ICC) says.
The 42-year-old Samuels, who represented West Indies in all three formats before retiring from cricket in 2020, was charged in September 2021 and found guilty in August after a hearing by an independent tribunal.
The breaches relate to his conduct while playing in the Abu Dhabi T10 league in 2019. The ban commenced on November 11.
Watch, Stream & Catch Up with Australia’s Home of Cricket on 7plus >>
“Samuels played international cricket for close to two decades, during which he participated in numerous anti-corruption sessions and knew exactly what his obligations were under the anti-corruption codes,” ICC HR and integrity unit head Alex Marshall said in a statement on Thursday.
“Though he is retired now, Samuels was a participant when the offences were committed.
“The ban of six years will act as a strong deterrent to any participant who intends to break the rules.”
World Cup hero posts career-first in final-ball thriller
Ricky Ponting spills beans on phone call to Travis Head
Marlon Samuels has been banned from all cricket for six years. Credit: Getty
The ICC went on to detail that one of the charges related to his failure to disclose “the receipt of any gift, payment, hospitality or other benefit” that “could bring the participant or the sport of cricket into disrepute”.
The sport’s governing body also charged him for failing to co-operate with the investigation, as well as failing to disclose “receipt of hospitality with a value of $750 or more”.
Samuels, who scored 3917 runs in 71 Test matches from 2000 to 2016 and 5,606 runs in 207 One-Day Internationals, was previously banned for two years in 2008 for passing on team information to a bookmaker.