Cricket Australia will look to introduce third-umpire technology for all WBBL games next season in a bid to introduce parity between televised and streamed matches.
Inconsistencies in officiating were highlighted again on Sunday night when Brisbane Heat power-hitter Mignon du Preez was declared run out in bizarre fashion against Adelaide.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Controversial run out in the WBBL.
Watch, Stream & Catch Up with Australia’s Home of Cricket on 7plus >>
With the bails already off, Strikers bowler Amanda-Jade Wellington removed one of the stumps to effect the dismissal.
As she did not have the ball in the same hand that removed the stump, AAP has been told Du Preez should not have been ruled out.
Amanda-Jade Wellington pulls out the stump in a controversial dismissal in the WBBL. Credit: Getty Images
The Melbourne Stars copped a poor call the previous week against Adelaide, when Rhys McKenna was given out stumped despite replays clearly showing she was in her crease when the bails came off.
Both instances happened in streamed matches, meaning no third umpire was available to rule on them.
It’s understood Cricket Australia (CA) have already begun internal discussions to remedy the issue for next year.
England admit to being clueless about major Cricket World Cup rule change
World blown away as ‘hot’ Aussies survive ‘best game ever’
After introducing the decision review system for the 24 free-to-air games last year, CA will expand that to include an extra 10 matches next season.
Talks are already in place to have fixed run-out cameras positioned for all other games, ensuring a third-umpire can be called upon in every WBBL match.
“We’re always focused on continuous improvement around the competition, whether that’s scheduling, players, technology or officiating,” Big Bash boss Alistair Dobson told AAP.
“Next year is the first year of our new media rights agreement, which will bring with it some further growth in the technology and facilities available at WBBL games
“We’re really optimistic we’ll be able to continue to improve and enhance WBBL matches around the use of technology and decision making.”
CA continue to consider their long-term plans around the league, including a potential shortening to 40 regular-season games for next year.
Dobson launched the ‘stadium series’ in Adelaide on Monday, announcing that WBBL matches will be played at Adelaide Oval, MCG and SCG later in the tournament.
Ellyse Perry spoke earlier this month of the ultimate goal of playing the majority of games in big stadiums in front of large crowds.
CA share a similar vision, with the Gabba likely to also host a game next summer as part of a longer-term goal of a closer balance between matches at suburban grounds and major stadiums
“We’ll look at the success of the stadium series post-season, and determine whether that can be expanded,” Dobson said.
“If in the future, more games in these big stadiums suits the competition – our schedule, partners and players – I would love to think there’s more.”
Legendary jockey chasing history in Melbourne Cup swansong
Nathan Cleary sighting sends romantic rumour mill into overdrive
If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your Cookie Settings.